The College of Medicine of AUP has a vital role to play in the propagation of the three angels’ messages in the region. Dr. Doris Mendoza, the founding dean of the medical school said that AUP College of Medicine envisions to train and graduate physicians who are service-oriented, effectively witnessing for God, and promoting the worldwide mission of the SDA church as medical missionary-minded doctors wherever they may be. In addition, cognizant of the mandate of the Philippines embodied in the "Higher Education Act of 1994" (or Republic Act No. 7722), and for the purpose of rationalizing the Medical Education in the country with the end in view of keeping abreast with the demands of global competitiveness, the AUP COM has adopted the five-point thrust of basic medical education.
These are the key points:
(1) Provide medical students with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes in consonance with the concept of a primary health physician;
(2) Prepare medical students for post-graduate study, research, teaching, and specialty training;
(3) Inculcate in the students an appreciation of the use of community and indigenous resources to promote health;
(4) Promote the integration of health services into the training of medical students; and
(5) Develop in the students such habits and attitudes that will enable them to engage in a lifetime of continuing medical education responsive to changing needs and developments.
These goals are geared towards developing physicians with attributes that make them capable as generalist physicians equipped to embark on professional development training in any field of medicine, i.e., research, medical education, community development, health services administration, and specialty clinical training. In essence, the AUP COM medical graduate is capable of becoming a “five-star physician” as described by the World Health Organization competent in the following roles:
a. Health care provider
b. Medical teacher and counselor
c. Researcher d. Administrator/manager e. Social mobilizer/advocate
The AUPCOM by God’s grace will fulfil its mission and with its partner Loma Linda University, the Adventists’ first and prime medical school in the world which will validate AUP’s doctor of medicine program, AUPCOM hopes to become a center for an excellent faith-based medical education.”